Back pain is something that is extremely common, and it happens to a huge percentage of people at some point throughout their life. If you are someone that frequently encounters back pain, or is looking for something to help a loved one, you need to start looking at the everyday household items for relief! In this particular case, a common household item that can alleviate your back pain if you do your research, is your recliner! Recliners are hugely popular, and are often thought of as the epitome of relaxation. In this guide for find the best recliner for back pain you will learn all about the causes of back pain, our reviews and top choices, and some frequently asked questions.
There are hundreds if not thousands of types and brands of recliners available on the market. There are the standard lounging recliner, and there are those that have massage features or electronic movements.
But, just because you purchase a comfortable recliner, doesn’t mean it will be comfortable for everyone, especially if they have pre-existing back pain or issues.
To help you with the struggles of picking out the best recliner for you and to help allievate your back pain, we’ve put together this buyers guide. In this article we will go thourhgh the pros and cons of certain recliners and how they can help with back pain.
Along with this, we’ve compiled a collection of choices on what we think are the best recliners for back pain. This list is of our personal beliefs based on our experiences and thoughts. These are great choices, and will help narrow down your choices! Let’s jump right into it!
Table Of Contents
- 1 Pros and Cons of Recliners for Back Pain:
- 2 Top 5 Choices for Best Recliner for Back Pain in 2018
- 3 1. Divano Roma Classic Plush Power Lift Recliner – Easy Access & Tilt Design
- 4 2. Mac Motion Oslo Recliner Collection – High Quality Leather and Hardwood
- 5 3. Kahuna Space-Saving Zero-Gravity Full Body Massage Chair Recliner LM 6800 – Best Massage Recliner + Heat
- 6 4. Flash Furniture Plush Rocker Recliner – Best Seller
- 7 5. Homelegance 9668BRW Glider Reclining Chair – Best Classic Design
- 8 Choosing the Right Recliner for Back Pain
- 9 Recliner FAQ:
- 10 Final Thoughts on Recliners and Back Pain
Pros and Cons of Recliners for Back Pain:
Recliners are very popular for the overall comfort that they can provide. But that being said, with any type of product, there are both pros and cons to using them. Below you will find our benefits and cons, and some things to keep in mind when you are looking at purchasing a recliner.
Benefits or Pros:
- Recliners are designed to relieve and alleviate pressure, painful tension, and general pain in your upper and lower back, while providing a comfortable place to relax. As mentioned before, there are some recliners that are designed with built in massage features or even heat features to add to this relaxation.
- Compared to sofas, recliners are great at promoting and encouraging good posture and sitting position. This is great because it promotes overall good back and spine health which in the long run will help with back pain. That being said, sitting in a sofa or traditional chair will never be as comfortable as a recliner!
- If you are someone that needs somewhere to sit for long periods of time, recliners are great for long sits. Because of their posture, recliners are easier on your back when you have to sit for long periods.
Drawbacks or Cons:
- That being said, if you have a preexisting serious medical condition, or a back injury, a recliner will not be a cure. Recliners are designed to alleviate and reduce back pain. They aren’t a cure, and they won’t subsitute medical attention. That being said, if you are dealing with serious back pain, then please get your self to a doctor, and get some medical attention!
- Along with that, if you have never shopped for furniture before, recliners can be expensive. It is truly an investment in your home, and you can expect to spend a respectable sum of money. That being said, there are different types and brands of recliners which will truly affect your price.
Top 5 Choices for Best Recliner for Back Pain in 2018
Because there are simply so many different types of recliners out on the market, and they each have different benefits and different features, selecting the right one for your needs can truly be a challenge. But, have no fear. To help you on your process, we have compiled a list that contains our top six choices of what we think are the best recliners currently available on the market!
1. Divano Roma Classic Plush Power Lift Recliner – Easy Access & Tilt Design
This Divano Roma Room Furniture recliner is a very unique choice when compared to other recliners on the market. This recliner has a built in electric motor that is absolutely silent. This motor not only reclines the chair back, but it also can tilt and lift the recliner forward as well.
If you are someone that experiences lower back pain, that makes it extremely difficult to stand up or sit down, then this will be a godsend! Now when you are done enjoying this recliner, you can use the built in motor to help tilt the chair forward, which makes it a lot easier and a lot less painful to stand up!
This motor is an electric motor, and it has to be plugged in to be powered, so keep that in mind when you are looking for a position to place the chair in your home. Along with that, the whole motor is controlled using an attached remote control for extremely easy access.
Other than having the benefits of the lift and tilt, this is an extremely comfortable recliner. This recliner is manufactured out of a soft velvet, that is extremely comfortable to the touch, and still quite durable. These recliner cushions are some of the softest and most supportive on the market, and they truly felt great on my back. The dimensions of the Divano Roma Plush Power Lift Recliner are as follows:
- 31.5 Inches Wide
- 36 Inches Deep
- 42 Inches High
- Fully Recliners Depth is 65 Inches.
- The Actual Seat is 20.5 Inches Wide by 20 Inches Deep.
These dimensions make this a great recliner that is decently sized. Along with being an extremely comfortable recliner, it’s also pretty decently priced. Generally motorized recliners are a little higher up on the price range, but this recliner is reasonably priced, and a great product.
That being said, this product does require a little bit of assembly. When this product arrives at your door it will be delivered in two pieces, one piece being the back, and the other being the main seating area. Assembly instructions will be included, but it’s as simple as sliding the back into the main seating area, and attaching.
Overall this is an extremely comfortable recliner, and the fact that it tilts and lifts to help accomadte easier access is a huge plus! If you are looking for a new recliner, and you need easier access, then this is my number one recommendation!
2. Mac Motion Oslo Recliner Collection – High Quality Leather and Hardwood
Out of all the recliners that make up this list, this chair is a little bit more expensive than the others. But that being said, this cost is because of the incredible high quality materials that Mac Motion uses. This Oslo styled collection recliner is made of a warm Walnut wood frame, that is fitted with an extremely comfortable and durable Top-Grain leather.
As for support and comfort, this is one of my top choices. This chair is fitted with high quality leather and hardwood, with extremely supportive memory foam on top. This model is featured with MX-2 memory foam that is fitted with 1 inch of solid cored foam that creates a supportive and comfortable sitting area.
Along with this, this chair is built to swivel a full 360 degrees, and features a manual recline angle when you use the handle on the side. This means that you can accurately and precisely select the exact angle of recline on this chair. Along with that, because this recliner comes with a matching ottoman, it allows you to put your feet up and find the perfect position for comfortable and pain free relaxation!
That being said, if your goal is relieve back pain, then you really want a product with memory foam and a wide range of reclining options. This one does it all, and allows you to find the perfect position that alleviates your pain or discomfort.
Similar to the recliner above, this product does have a little bit of assembly required. Simply put, this recliner comes in two pieces and they have to be attached together. Thankfully this process is quite simple, and all it takes is 2 bolts to attach the back cushion to the main chair frame, and 2 cotter pins to attach the back cushion and the seat cushion. As for assembling the ottoman, all it takes is 4 bolts to attach the ottoman cushion to the wood frame.
Overall this is a great recliner and ottoman set with incredibly high quality materials. This makes the chair not only incredibly good looking, but also incredibly durable. That being said, if you are looking for an extremely comfortable recliner that allows a huge amount of personalization then this is the best option for you!
3. Kahuna Space-Saving Zero-Gravity Full Body Massage Chair Recliner LM 6800 – Best Massage Recliner + Heat
Everyone loves a good massage. They can be great at helping back and shoulder pain, and are truly great for relaxing. That being said, wouldn’t it be great to be able to get a professional level massage inside your house without having to hire a professional? Thankfully with massage recliners, this is possible!
The Kahuna Space-Saving Zero-Gravity Full Body Massage Recliner is one of the very best massage recliners on the market, and it is something that can truly alleviate the most severe back tension and pain.
This recliner is one of the most advanced on the market, and it features, a 4 roller massage system that is design to massage your feet all the way to your neck. Along with this, the L-Track roller design of this chair helps to provide extra support to your neck and back, and the positioning helps to decompress the individual pieces of your spine.
This truly unique and innovative massage recliner also features the following relaxation functions:
- L-Track 4 Roller Massage System
- Features an Air-Cell Massage System that covers your entire body and provides a silent but effect massage feature.
- 3 Stages of Zero Gravity (Zero gravity position is the most effective and comfortable position to receive a massage. It helps to evenly spread a user’s weight and reduces stress on your joints and muscles).
- Features 2 Foot Massage Rollers
- Features 6 Auto Massage Programs
- Features Heat Therapy for Lower Back and Legs.
As you can see from all the functions above, this chair is truly designed for comfort and relaxation in mind. The fact that it features zero gravity positions makes this a great choice for those with serious back issues that need some relief and alleviation after a long day.
Not only does this recliner feature the ultimate massage you can receive, it also features a unique stretching feature. The LM-6800’s Yoga Stretching Auto Program is a full body stretching program that will help to limber up your body, and keep it feeling loose.
Although this is a premium product, it really is the best massaging recliner available on the market. If you are someone that struggles with back pain, or works hard and long hours, there will be no better feeling in the world than coming home and relaxing in this Kahuna LM6800.
4. Flash Furniture Plush Rocker Recliner – Best Seller
This is an extremely comfortable and cozy chair for someone that is looking for something that simply gets the job done. This Flash Furniture Plush Rocker Recliner is an oversized recliner which means that the width is at 66 inches. This makes it extremely comfortable and cozy for those who are looking for a comfortable lounging recliner.
That being said, oversized recliners are often a great choice because of the extra space provided, and the overall comfort. This added room allows those that suffer from back pain to find the best position for their comfort. Along with this, this recliner’s position is easily adjusted with the level conveniently located on the right side. This is extremely easy to operate, and allows you to find the perfect angle for your body.
This recliner comes with extremely generously padded arms and back cushions that truly surround you in comfort. This 5 inches of CA 117 foam will help to keep you comfortable and relaxed. This chair is fitted with extremely easy to clean brown leather, that is also quite durable. That being said, this chair features a 2 year warranty on parts.
Not only does this recliner recline, it also rocks. The rocking motion of this recliner can be extremely soothing, especially those with infants and toddlers.
Overall this is a pretty great recliner for someone who is looking to relax after a long day. This oversized chair gives you plenty of room to sprawl out and find the most comfortable position for you! If you are looking for a great chair at a reasonable price, then this could be a great choice!
5. Homelegance 9668BRW Glider Reclining Chair – Best Classic Design
This Homelegance recliner has the classic recliner look that many people are looking for. This classic appearance not only looks great, but it feels great as well!
This recliner is manufactured out of both bonded leather and faux leather, with the seat being made out of bonded leather and the body being made of the latter. That being said, this use of two different materials helps to provide protection for the seat which takes most of the abuse. Along with this, the head comes with some much needed neck and head padding that helps relieve pressure on your back. All of this is done while still providing plenty of lumbar support. This recliner measures the following:
- 42 Inches Tall
- 38.5 Inches Wide
- 40 Inches Deep
The reclining function of this chair is operated with a lever on the right side. The great thing about this level is that it allows you to perfectly choose the best position for you. Along with this, this chair features a gliding motion which I personally think is much easier on my back, and I prefer it over a rocking motion.
Overall, if you are looking for a recliner that has the classic “American Recliner” look, while still maintaining a comfortable seat, then this is the one for you!
Choosing the Right Recliner for Back Pain
I know you’ve just been thrown a lot of choices, and you’ve seen a few recliners that you like, but try to stay with me. In order to pick the best lounging chair for your back pain you need to really understand the root of your pain.
Causes of Back Pain
Because there are so many different types of back pain and so many different causes associated with pain, it really is important to understand the cause of your pain. That being said, I would definitely recommend talking to a medical professional to really help get a grip on what’s going on.
That being said, WebMD provided us a guide on picking out what causes your back pain, and the root cause of the pain. Once you have figured out what’s causing your back pain, you can more accurately find a recliner that will solve your pain!
Recliner Tips for Combating Back Pain:
- For the majority of back pain, lumbar support and elevated feet are some of the best features to look for in a chair.
- If you have a pinched nerve and feel a stabbing pain or even numbness in your back, then a massage recliner is a great choice. The Kahuna LM-6800 is one of the best massager recliners available on the market!
- If you face general aches and pains from a long day of work of exercise, then you want to focus on both softness and cushioning. This helps to give your sore muscles a place to relax. That being said, remember to focus on lumbar support as well.
- If your back pain inhibits you from getting in and out of chairs easily, then I recommend you take a look at lift chairs. The Divano Roma Lift Recliner has the ability to lift and tilt to allow extremely easy access for those with limited mobility.
Types of Recliners:
Along with knowing what’s causing your back pain, you need to know the three main types of recliners that are available on the market.
Manual Recliners: Manual recliners are some of the most basic and recognizable types of recliners. These are fitted with no motors, and the recliner must be moved and adjusted through a level. Because this a manual chair, you will need to physically move and adjust the seat. That being said, these are not great designs for people that have mobility issues or severe back pain. Thankfully, one major advantage is that they usually are the most affordable options.
Electric Recliners: As the name suggests, instead of having a manual transition, these recliners feature an electric motor that adjusts the seat. These recliners are featured with a remote or button that will raise or lower the seating position. These are great for those with less mobility. That being said, these are generally slightly more expensive than manual recliners.
Anti-Gravity Recliners: Also known as Zero Gravity recliners these are an advanced type of recliners that are designed to keep your legs above your torso. This position is ideal because it relieves vast amounts of stress on your back, and offers numerous other health benefits.
As mentioned earlier, there are some specialized recliners that are featured with built in massage features. These recliners are fitted with a serious of rollers, and air bags or air coils. The rollers are designed to move up and down the users body to help roll out the muscles and pain points. Along with this, the air coils are built inside the recliner, and constantly inflate and deflate to provide support and a massage like feel to the user.
These recliners truly are the best option for those that have pain, and they are the best thing in the world to come home to after a hard day. That being said, because of their advanced innovation, these chairs do run a premium rate.
After looking at some chairs, and accepting that this is an investment into your home, you should often look at the warranty. If you are looking at purchasing an expensive item, you want to be sure that the warranty is complete enough to protect you incase something happens.
Most recliners on the market today will feature a one year warranty. That being said, if you are looking at a premium recliner, then I would expect to have a little more complete warranty. I urge you to double check the warranty information and policy before you purchase!
Q: What is the Best Way to Use Your Recliner to Alleviate Pain?
If you are willing to invest a large chunk of money into a reclining chair, you should really be aware of the best ways to use it. Below are some tips on how to effectively use your chair to reduce back pain.
- Recliner Angle: As with any recliner, you are in complete control of how low or high you want to sit. That being said, there is an optimal angle that will reduce back strain. That being said it is actually better to aim for around a 135 degree angle as opposed to sitting straight up.
- Anti-Gravity Position: Generally speaking, the anti-gravity position (Where your feet are above your torso) is always going to be better for your back and overall health than a traditional sitting position. If you have a recliner that doesn’t feature an anti-gravity position, then the second best thing would be to find an ottoman to keep your feet up. This helps to alleviate back pressure and strain as well.
Q: Is a Massage Recliner Worth It?
Although this is a purely subjective question, I believe they are. Massage chairs and recliners are different than a usual recliner and they feature some of the following features:
- Rollers and Air Bags/Air Coils which massage muscles all over your body.
- Alleviate muscle spasms and tightness through heated pressure.
- Anti-Gravity Positioning
- Added lumbar support
Overall I have had great success with massage recliners, and I definitely recommend them. That being said, it is truly up to the user to decide if the added price is worth the benefits or not. When I was at my worst, the benefits definitely were worth it. But if you are someone that has very minor back pain, then maybe it won’t be worth it. It’s truly a decision that each individual user will have to decide.
Final Thoughts on Recliners and Back Pain
Having back pain can feel like a truly debilitating ailment, and it might feel like you will never have a normal life again. But thankfully, if you do the right research then you will be able to find a recliner that not only supports your back, but helps to remove the stress and pressures put on it throughout your day.
Thanks to this new and advanced technology, there will always be an option to help you alleviate your back pain. I hope this buyers guide has helped you find a great recliner that helps with your back pain!